Airport Security Holiday Travel Tips
- Prepare your 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag of liquids before arriving at the airport.
- Monitor local broadcasts for announcements of security checkpoint delays at local airports.
- Pack all your coats and jackets in your checked baggage when possible.
- Do not wrap gifts.
- Check-in online.
- Check your flight status online.
- Review TSA’s security procedures.
- Wear easy to remove and replace shoes.
- Plan to arrive to the airport earlier than normal.
- Approach the initial security checkpoint with your driver’s license / passport and paper boarding pass or electronic boarding pass in hand.
- While waiting for the next available security screener / metal detector, remove and place in bins:
- all metal (e.g. belt buckle, coins, eyeglasses, etc.)
- plastic, zip-top bag of liquids
- items from your pockets including mobile phone
- laptops from bag and place in separate bin
- Do not engage in trash talk about security or do anything else to call attention to yourself – this will only make it worse.
- Remember, if you are selected for an enhanced pat-down, you have the right to request it be done in private.