Time flies when you are having fun. Probably the oldest cliché in the world, but for us at Classic Travel, it certainly holds true. It does not seem possible that we have been selling travel and all the exciting things that come with it for 34 wonderful years. And thanks to you, our well-traveled clientele, we have had the pleasure of sharing in your globe-trotting adventures for well over a quarter of a century.
Over this time, we have witnessed events that have changed the world and impacted our industry. Travel is our business, but above all, it is our passion. We believe that travel contributes immeasurably to the overall quality of life. No matter how well-traveled you may be, each trip you embark on brings knowledge and new experiences. Travel is continuing education and we will never run out of exotic places to go. One of the most precious rights that we have is the ability to move freely around this fascinating world of ours. To experience the diversity and richness of far away places, creating memories that will last a lifetime, we are proud to be one of the most experienced travel companies in the entire industry, but we continue to grow in many different areas.
Our expanding group department affords us the opportunity to accompany our clients on excursions all over the globe. This facet of the business is one of the most rewarding aspects of what we do. Of the many changes that we have experienced over the years, the most profound has been in the field of technology. Classic Travel has stayed one step ahead and embraced this ever-changing computer age. We are extremely proud of our state-of-the-art website. We are a top hit in search engines and our website was featured in Travel Advisors’ Top 12 Favorite Travel Websites. When you are not traveling yourself, visit our website and bring the world directly into your own home.
On behalf of the staff at Classic Travel, I would like to thank you all for allowing us to be a part of your adventures for all these years. As we look forward to the exciting future of world travel, we honestly believe that the best is yet to come!
Noteworthy Events of 1980 (the year we opened)…
- The David Letterman Show debuted and someone shot JR on Dallas.
- Smoking was allowed on airplanes (and almost everywhere else).
- Ronald Reagan was President.
- Joy was married, but not to Tom.
- Most flights served hot food and peanuts were given as snacks.
- Classic Travel’s Julie Schafer was born!
- Offices had typewriters and carbon paper.
- Ordinary People and Raging Bull won Oscars; the Grammy for best record went to Christopher Cross for “Sailing,” and Emmys went to Taxi and Hill Street Blues.
- The Concorde was flying to London in record speed.
- If you took your shoes off before boarding a plane, it was because your feet hurt.
- The U.S. won Olympic hockey Gold.
- Mt. St. Helens erupted.
- If you wanted to make a call while on the road, you had to go to a phone booth.
- The Titanic was found 12,000 feet under the sea.
- You could bring a samurai sword on a plane as long as it fit in the overhead compartment.
- Spell checking meant using a dictionary.
- Joy opened Classic Travel from a rented room in a farm house with donated furniture and a vision.