There are two main types of plans: those that offer trip cancellation / interruption coverage and those that focus on “post-departure” or health and medical coverage.
Plans with Trip Cancellation / Interruption bundle comprehensive medical benefits together with coverage for travelers who must cancel or interrupt their trip for reasons including:
- Sickness, Injury, or Death of the Insured, a Family Member or Traveling Companion
- Bankruptcy or default of a travel provider
- Occurrence of a terrorist incident in their destination city – foreign or domestic
It’s important to purchase plans within 14 days of initial trip deposit in order to obtain coverage for pre-existing medical conditions and bankruptcy / financial default. Unlike some providers, Travelex covers pre-existing conditions for people of all ages. Remember, while supplier coverage is sometimes less expensive than a comprehensive protection plan, the benefits are usually lower and will not offer protection if the supplier files for bankruptcy, a more common occurrence these days.
Travelers who choose not to protect their trip costs can still obtain a comprehensive plan that includes coverage for sickness, medical evacuation, travel delay, baggage loss or damage, and baggage delay.
All Travelex plans include 24 hour, worldwide emergency assistance for a wide range of needs including: emergency cash transfers, lost passport assistance, prescription / eyeglass refill or replacement, and medical referrals.
Not all plans are the same. Be sure to review full plan details before purchasing. Travelex plans offer great benefits you may not find with other providers, including:
- Primary Coverage: In the event of a claim, there are no deductibles and you file first with Travelex.
- Family Friendly Plans: Children under 21 are covered at no additional cost when accompanied by a covered adult (limit of 1 child per 1 adult).
- Key Person Coverage: Key persons, defined as an employed caregiver or person with whom you have lived for 12 continuous months, are included under trip cancellation coverage.