Written by Rhonda Brooks.
The North Shore is the remote area of the island of Kauai in Hawaii, with picturesque views in a lush tropical setting. The quaint town of Princeville offers cliff-side views of the Pacific Ocean, while the beach town of Hanalei offers many fantastic sunsets from the pier and many food trucks creating a laid back casual feel.
Must dos while visiting the North Shore
- Napali Coast State Wilderness Park (Kalalau Trail).
- Boat tour of the Napali coast with Blue Dolphin Charters.
- Helicopter tour with Sunshine Helicopter.
- Snorkel at Ke’e Beach. Pick up snorkel equipment in the town of Hanalei.
- Eat lunch or dinner at one of the local food trucks or try the Dolphin for fresh seafood.
- Kilauea Lighthouse Point for whale watching and view of dolphins. Great views of the Pacific.
- Spouting Horn Beach for sunset views.
- Visit the St Regis. The hotel is on a bluff overlooking the town of Hanalei with breathtaking views.
- Kayak on the Wailua River.
Hikes and Waterfalls
- Hana Kapiai Falls- Most difficult to get to, but most impressive.
- Wailua Falls- double tiered waterfall just off the road and easy to access.
- Kayak to Secret Falls.
- Opaekaa Fall- with views of the Wailua River Valley. Easy to get to.
- Hike the Kalalau trail in the State Wilderness Park.
- Hike or bike the 5 mile loop at Wai Koa Loop Trail.
- Okolehao Trail- 2.8 miles and is a moderate hike.
Beaches to Visit
- Anahola Beach for snorkeling.
- Ha’ena Beach offer a scenic view of the mountains. Great for swimming a photo opportunities.
- Anini Beach/Hanalei Beach. Great for families.
- Haina Beach Park. Great for camping, snorkeling, and swimming the beach tunnels.
- Piazza in Princeville, Happy Talk at the Hanalei Bay Resort (great live music), and The Dolphin in Hanalei. There’s also a location in Poipu.
- Wishing Well Shave Ice in Hanalei for organic shave ice and acai bowls.
- Stop at the Lava Lava Beach Club in Kapaa for a casual lunch on the beach with awesome views.
Rhonda has been in the travel business for over 25 years and specializes in leisure travel. She is a Uniworld River Cruise Specialist and recently returned from a cruise on the Danube River. Some of her favorite destinations include Europe and Hawaii. Email Rhonda: email@example.com